Sunday, August 17, 2008

Garden Success

Brandon here. Those of you that have seen our backyard know that it's small. I've discovered an interest in gardening but the options are limited by space. I saw an infomercial on the "Topsy Turvy" hanging tomato planter and thought, "I can do that cheaper." I did a little internet research and spent about $5 on a bucket and a hook to hang it. Probably the most difficult part was pushing the little tomato start through the nickel sized hole in the bottom of the bucket, but it's doing very well as you can see. I only did one plant this year and it seems quite fruitful. Since I love garden tomatos and making sauce from them, I'm considering building an arbor on my deck and getting rows of these things going next year.

4 comments:

Anne Bennion said...

Nice job. I love that idea. I might have to come over and copy the design down so Stu can help build one for me next year!

Doug said...

Brandon, I heard a good idea today from a client. They built a 3 sided gutter and nailed it to their fence along the top. Then filled it with dirt and planted strawberries. You would have to make it pretty deep with 1 x 6 boards so that you don't have to water it every day. I think doing that would give you TONS of garden space. Additionally, no slug would make that trek up the fence...especially if your fence was made from salt.

Jamie Gibeau said...

Thinking about you all day...how did it go? Cam did great (other than chewing on her mouth while it was numb and now she looks like a chipmunk!! - I made it too!)
Just checking in to see how your lucky 18th Monday was....
BTW, great looking tomato plant, Brandon!!

Sassyfrass said...

Okay, I hate you guys. Those plants are beautiful! My attempt at tomatoes failed miserably. I might have to try that method next year. Think of me while you're enjoying them! :)